A Beginner's Guide to Ayurveda
If you can’t tell your doshas from your gunas, and if prakruti and vikruti are a mystery, then this course is for you!
Specifically written by Anne as an introductory guide to Ayurveda, this course is packed with information conveyed in a relaxed and easy-to-understand style for those wanting to dip their toes into this incredible body of ancient wisdom.
- To open a door to the profound system of Ayurvedic knowledge acquired over thousands of years and yet still relevant today.
- To guide you to a deeper understanding of yourself and your individual health patterns.
- To introduce a comprehensive system of preventative and remedial healthcare for you and your family.
- To give a taste of Ayurveda for students considering enrolling in the Living Wisdom course.
- To provide yoga students and teachers with a complement to their classes and practices.
The on-line course is divided into six lessons, each followed by multiple choice quizzes.
As well as the written work there is an introduction to meditation, practical exercises to do at home and delicious recipes to integrate into your culinary repertoire!
The course is designed to take approximately 20 hours to complete, including reading the written material and completing the practical exercises and quizzes.
On Completion of A Beginner's Guide to Ayurveda
On completion you will be able to print out a certificate and will receive CPD points.
NB This course is not intended to prepare you to treat patients.
Lesson One: An Introduction to Ayurvedic Concepts
- A brief history of Ayurveda and an introduction to its essential features.
- Understanding the basics of Ayurvedic philosophy, anatomy and physiology, including the five elements and the three gunas forming the building blocks of the universe and the three doshas that manifest in different constitutional types.
Lesson Two: Prakruti and Vikruti - Discovering your Constitution
- Learn more about the different constitutional types (doshas) and how keeping your doshas in balance is the key to health in body and mind.
- Determine the basic constitution you were born with (prakruti) and your current state of balance and health (vikruti).
Lesson Three: Digestive Fire - Agni
- Discover how the cornerstone of health is good digestion or agni.
- Learn how health problems are related to low digestive fire, causing accumulation of toxins known as ama.
- Take a look at key Ayurvedic herbs and spices to help keep your digestion healthy.
Lesson Four: The 6 Tastes and Their Effects in Mind and Body
- An introduction to the 6 tastes of foods, herbs and spices
- Learn how these tastes have specific effects on body and mind.
- Discover how the 6 tastes affect the doshas and how to balance your constitution by selecting herbs and foods based on their tastes.
Lesson Five: Ayurvedic Diet and Lifestyle for your Constitution
- Learn how to tailor your diet and lifestyle according to your unique constitution and to maintain the balance of your doshas.
- Learn how to choose the best foods and activities for each season and stage of life to keep you in optimum health.
- Understand the role of dinacharya (daily routine) and its impact on your health.
- Enjoy cooking the delicious and healthy Ayurvedic recipes included in the course.
Lesson Six: Herbs and Ayurveda
- Take a look at some renowned Ayurvedic herbs and spices.
- Consider the use of popular Western herbs from an Ayurvedic perspective.
- Discover how to keep your doshas in balance and resolve common symptoms of doshic imbalance using herbs.